Friday, February 4, 2011

Sounding Base Cable

by Alexander Lee

I'm a violinist with a problem.  The problem is, I'm a violinist.  So much of my relationship with music throughout life has been spent focused--somewhat obsessively--on violin playing that I've neglected to listen to and study entire genres and sub-genres of music (which, thankfully, have been patiently waiting for me).

Well, in recent months, I've found myself in desperate search of new music to stimulate my tired brain.  Like a junkie always looking to relive the experience of that first high, I've been seeking music that would set off my endorphins in the same thrilling way I first experienced listening to music that pushed the limits of what can be played on the violin.  After deciding I was ready to take the plunge, I started perusing the astounding library of YouTube videos that now exist for all to explore on the Interwebs.

While much of the modern world has been busy shuffling their I-Pods and picking out their favorite Pandora stations, I've been delighting in creating my own YouTube play-lists of varying types of music.  This satisfies my need for control over the DJ booth while also satiating my cravings for new sounds.  What I've found I could not resist sharing with you, my anxious and eager reader.  I present a random sampling of five of my favorite YouTube discoveries which have gotten me through the winter so far.    

Miles Davis Quintet - It Could Happen To You
Relax while you get started on those taxes. 

   

DJ Spooky - Asphalt (Tome II)
Urban Sound-scape.  Mild profanity.  Groovy track.  Go!



The Lovin' Spoonful/John Sebastian - Coconut Grove
Great 60's songwriting.  Fall asleep in a hammock. 



 Krzysztof Penderecki - Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima
You may recognize these frightening sounds from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining or Alfonso Cuaron's film Children of Men.



Arvo Pärt - Spiegel im Spiegel (Mirror in Mirror)
Ponder the cosmos.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment